Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Selfishness

It's been almost a year since I blogged, and it's been interesting getting back in to the bloging groove. When I was super into blogging, I read the blogs of all my friends all the time, but when I stopped updating my blog, it was like I assumed my friends stopped as well. That was not the case; in fact, the whole time I had been not bloging, my friends had been blogging away despite my lack of attention.

It's always random stuff like that that reveals my selfishness to me. Today I was reading the temptation of Jesus in Luke 4. Probably because of my recent selfishness revelation, I noticed something that had not always stood out. Every temptation Jesus faces in that passage is at its root a selfish temptation. And the more I thought about it the more I realized that all sin has selfishness at its core. We are either putting our plans before God's, our wants before the needs of the poor, or our image/reputation before the happiness of others. It's all the same: selfishness.

So, as I go on this mission trip to Texas, I am hoping that God will use this to break me of my selfishness again. Maybe this time it won't take blogging to reveal to me when I've slipped back into that well-worn selfishness groove that feels so normal. And maybe my next blog post can top this one for blog-derivative use (10 uses of 'blog-" oops... 11 now).

3 comments:

Ryan Close said...

Yup, there is a lot of blog-ness in that post. But it's alright - gives you something high to aim at next post.

Glad to see you back in the (I hate myself for using this term) blogosphere. Believe it or not, after you dropped off the blogging, so did just about every (friend's) blog I read. Alas...

Have a good trip brother.

cumcpodcaster said...

you should hate yourself with an abiding loath for that term. Ok, maybe not but it was a bit cheesy. Can't wait to see you guys!

lifzgud2me said...

Yeah, I can say firsthand the selfishness issue is a thing of the past! You were anything but selfish last week on the mission trip! Thanks for letting me be part of the madness! You rock, dude! :)
Kelly