Monday, August 25, 2008

Obedience

So, as I've been getting ready for the adult class I am teaching this fall (Jesus, the Jewish Theologian), I have been reading a new book by Brad Young called Parables: Jewish Tradition and Christian Interpretation. There is a brilliant section talking about the parable of the Fair Employer in Matthew 20:1-16 (the one where the employer gets people in the morning and throughout the day, but pays them the same).

He talks about how this parable is a perfect example of the Jewish theology of reward for obedience not performance. This theological concept is based on Jer. 15:1 that talks about how Moses and Samuel both stood before the Lord. The rabbis point out that though Moses served for 120 years and Samuel only 52 years, they are both rewarded the same.

I love that. I mean, that is a huge shift! It helps free us of our enslavement to being the best. When I begin to focus on being obedient instead of efficient, talented, polished, knowledgeable, or well-respected, I move my focus from myself to God. Instead of pursuing perfection, I can pursue God (I think Mike Yacconelli said that).

Man, That Jesus guy was really tuned in.

1 comment:

Love Works said...

Jeremiah -- you are so funny with the peace song... It was good talking to you and yes, Jesus was way tuned in. Great to see you blogging again! Peace AND a unified body of Christ. Take care -- jb